Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Let them be little...

Today, Harrison wasn't feeling well, so he came up to my office to lay on a cot. I was sitting next to him talking. He said, "Ms. Lori, I think I won't be able to come to Pirate camp tomorrow. I'll probably still be sick." I said, "That's ok, buddy. You need to rest." He goes, "Yeah...do you think you'll have it next year? Maybe I'll come for it then." I said, "Just think, next year, you'll be getting ready for first grade!" He said, "What color is that room?" I explained that we don't have first grade at LEP, and he said, "I've noticed an extra room in the back...a gray room...you know gray around the door." I told him that was the closet, and he asked how big it was. "Maybe we could have first grade there." I said, "It's not that big, buddy." He said, "Well, I think we should talk to Ms. Sally and see if we can just have first grade in the blue room." Finally, I told him, "You'll be so big by then, you'll be getting ready for your new big boy school." And then, he made me tear up when he said, "I want this to be my big boy school...I love it here." He was quiet for a little bit, then he said, "We can talk more about it later. I'm going to close my eyes...you just keep rubbing my back." Oh, how I wish they stayed little...

No comments: